Thursday, February 21, 2013

Confessions of Motherhood

Here lies the longest post I've ever written.  And there's no pictures.  I'm sorry, or you're welcome, whichever way you feel about it. :)
 
As I sit down to write this, I am not sure what exactly I am going to say, or why I finally feel the need to say it out loud, but I feel like there is a lot bottled up inside of me and the past few months it’s building.  I’m ready to purge, to put it all out there and say, I’m not perfect.  I’m so very, very far from being the person I want to be, and half the time I feel like I am crawling in the wrong direction.  I feel like often times “secrets” or things that we are insecure (or even ashamed) about get pushed down, sent away to a dark corner, hoping to be over-looked or forgotten about.  The problem is that this is the environment in which they thrive.  Hiding your hurt only intensifies it. Insecurities grow in the dark and only become bigger and bigger, but when exposed to the light of truth, they shrink. You are only as unhappy as your secrets let you be.
Now at this point, after a lead in like that, I am sure that you are all expecting me to say something devastating or dramatic like, “I’m a natural blonde”.  But there is no big revelation here. (Sorry, I know it would be really juicy to be hiding a secret family somewhere or to admit I was once a man)  But my secrets are mundane.  Common, typical, and too uninteresting to shed any light on.  Or at least that’s how I feel.  Part of me feels like there HAS to be lots of other moms out there who feel just like me, but for some reason it seems like those of us who are stay at home moms are either talking about how much they LOVE their life as a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), or else they aren’t talking. 
I want to be completely honest here, a lot of the time I feel like a big part of me is not fulfilled.  “Now let me be clear” (said in my serious Obama voice), I choose to stay at home with my young children.  I would make that choice again and again.  That is a very personal choice for me.  My mom didn’t have that choice, as a single mom, and when I pause to think about the blessing it is to be so involved with my children I am overwhelmingly grateful for the opportunities I have.
I also understand that no matter how great your life is, there will always be times and seasons during which you feel unfulfilled on at least some level.  We don’t get all our blessings at once, and I don’t expect it to be any different.  I am often told (as I am sure all of you are) that to everything there is a season, and that life passes too quickly.  In fact I tell myself these things.  Often.  I tell myself to enjoy the season, and a lot of the time, I do.
But a lot of the time, it is hard. 
I know in my heart that the work I am doing with my children in my home will have lasting effects, possibly for generations.  I am building my kid’s foundation that they will draw on the rest of their lives.  I am helping shape their view of themselves, the world, manners, kindness, justice, spirituality, and doing my best to help them develop a good work ethic, sense of humor, and desire to be kind and charitable.  But when the floor you just spent 20 minutes mopping, while holding a crying baby in one arm and trying to manipulate the mop with the other gets peed all over, by your child who has been potty trained for a year and a half, it feels like everything you spend your time/energy on is only temporary.  Last weekend I did 9 loads of laundry, including washing everyone’s bedding (for no reason! Just to keep them clean…I will admit that more often than not, sheets in our house are washed because they are dirty, not because we are making sure they never get dirty), I put clean sheets, and blankets on all the beds, I worked hard to fold and put away laundry.  That night we had 2 of our 3 kids pee the bed.  It seems like so much of the time when I put a lot of effort into something, it must go bad.  Immediately.  Oh, you planned a fun day trip and told the kids about it the night before?  Someone will wake up puking.  You actually washed the baseboards and walls?  The 2 year old will throw her spaghetti.  You spent hours making a princess dress?  It will be ripped and thrown under the bed.  You made a nutritious meal from scratch? At least one child will cry that they want a hot dog or cereal instead. 
This is just life.  It’s normal, and I accept it.  But sometimes it gets me down.  When your weekly “to-do” lists stay the same and are filled with things like wash towels, vacuum & mop, grocery shop, and your days revolve around 3 meals + 2 snacks, dishes, never-ending-cycle of toy pickup, reminding kids to use the bathroom, brush their teeth, and say “thank you”, the monotony of life can become overwhelming.  I remember life before becoming a SAHM, waking up each day curious.  The day was filled with possibilities.  How would rehearsal or practice go?  What would your friends or coworkers talk about?  Would something new or exciting happen?
Now, I am in complete control.  Nothing happens that I don’t schedule.  And not much that I am in charge of could be labeled new or exciting.  I pay bills, schedule Dr. appointments and play dates, decide whether or not to go to the store or procrastinate.  Don’t get me wrong, I do get a sense of satisfaction when my house is clean, and functioning at its peak.  I do get a sense of accomplishment when a day is spent with no TV, but with a couch fort, cookies, and lots of giggles.  My heart warms when I see my children sleeping peacefully, and a lot of the time I love to read them books and singing them to sleep.
But, in keeping with honesty, a lot of the time when they bring me a book my first thought isn’t, “I’m so glad that my children want me to read to them”.  It’s a wave of impatience.  Of course much of the time it’s because a book is being shoved under my nose while I am sitting on the toilet, or on the phone with the gas company, or in the middle of typing this blog.  When my kids burst into my room at 6am I most often feel, in the place of what was once curiosity and anticipation for the day, a sense of exhaustion and a deep, deep desire to sleep a little longer. 
Some days are dreadful, and some days are picture perfect.  We do fun things, not because I feel pressured to do fun things, or because I am going through the motions of what a fun, involved mom should do, but because I am just having fun with my children.  I am enjoying being around them.  They make me laugh and surprise me and make me proud to be their mother.  Those days are wonderful, but most days are a mixture of good and bad, a mixture of beautiful moments and struggles of will.  Much of the time the fun project we are doing is not being done because I am so excited to do it, but because I know the kids have already watched too much TV today, and I should provide them with something creative and stimulating.
I am a selfish person.  I have always known that about myself, and since I was about 18 or so I have been earnestly trying to be less so.  It’s in my nature to be self-centered and to want to have fun.  That’s part of who I am and I think that most people who know me have accepted that and even, dare I say, enjoy it.  I have learned though, over the last decade, how to see the needs of others.  Being self-centered by nature doesn’t mean that you don’t care about other people, it just means that it is hard to see outside of yourself.  I feel like I have grown immeasurably in this regard since getting married 8 ½ years ago.  But I am still growing.  I am still struggling to find fulfillment and consistent joy in making my children happy. 
Maybe it’s hard for me because I grew up on the stage.  In the world of theatre your actions are noticed, your hard work and talents are praised and recognized.  I was spoiled enough to find something that I was deeply passionate about at a young age and I was able to spend almost 2 decades doing something I loved and something that I was “known” for.  It was challenging and exciting and immediately gratifying.  It was (and is) a huge part of who I am.  And as everyone knows motherhood is underappreciated, I have worked much, much harder as a SAHM than I ever did as an employee or student, and with much, much less encouragement, incentive, and recognition.
But maybe it’s not harder for me than anyone else.  Maybe it’s hard for everyone and I just don’t know it.
At times I have felt like maybe it’s just not in my nature to be a good mother.  Maybe I’m too selfish.  Maybe I’d be happier doing something that stimulated me creatively.  Maybe I am not cut out for this.  In the darkest moments I have questioned to what benefit I am doing all this work that seems to be futile.
But deep down, I don’t believe that.  Deep down I believe that all of us (male or female) have the ability to be good, selfless, mothers.  Parts of motherhood may be easier for some than others, but I believe that we all have a deep, deep reservoir of beautiful, charitable, kind, gentle, humble, genuine, motherly love inside us.  We just aren’t used to using it, and some of the time, we might not even be sure how to access it.  It’s like trying to just wiggle your ring finger, while all of your other fingers are balled into a fist.  It feels strange and difficult and it’s hard to do it for a length of time.  But as unnatural as it might feel, that finger is part of your body.  Those muscles belong to you.  They might not be used to being isolated and thrust into use, but if you decided to make them agile and strong, they would eventually become such.
The struggle for me is learning how to make my motherhood muscle strong and agile without exhausting it.  And even beyond that, sometimes it’s a struggle to even want to exercise it, to find the motivation to shed my pride and vanity and laziness and selfishness that hold me back. 
 I know it’s there, inside me, but I get in my own way. 
That’s my secret.
I am afraid to completely lose myself to motherhood.  I want to hold onto myself, my passions, my interests, my connection to other adults, things that I feel make me as an individual-outside of my family-who I am, and I also want to be a devoted, enthusiastic mother, but I don’t know how to find the perfect balance. 
I sometimes put so much enthusiasm into a burst of “motherhood energy”, that at the end of the day if the kids are grouchy and unappreciative it leaves me feeling even more depleted, finding less joy in the journey of motherhood instead of more.  I’m sure we’ve all been in that situation, where something is built up and expectations are unrealistic, if not for the over-expectation, the pressure to enjoy; the experience probably would have been more enjoyable.  I want my kids to have fond memories of their childhood, but often times the “memory makers” are so much stress/work.  Do all moms secretly harbor apathy toward big fun memories that kids enjoyed, because it was so much work to coordinate, or is it simply me not taking the time to stop and enjoy it?
This is why I am not on Pintrest.  I feel like I don’t need to see all the extra work on display, don’t need any extra pressure to make over-the-top memories.  I struggle to do all the wonderful, positive things I already know I should be doing, I don’t need a million other things I’ve never even thought of rolling around in my head!  I know for a lot of people it's a great way for them to explore their creativity, and if I gave it a try I am sure there would be lots of things to benefit.  But I also know people who have turned it into a competition of parenting one-upman-ship.  And that's something that just seems exhausting and awful.  It seems like the internet is flooded with the highlights of parenting always, which is great to see and a good pick me up, motivation to do better.  But when my girls become mothers and eventually look back on this blog with new perspective, I want them to see the truth of motherhood, the struggles as well as the highlights.  I want them to know that it wasn't easy to learn to be a good mother, and that that is OK.  It's OK that it's not fun all the time, or that you feel like you are drowning and losing yourself.  It's OK.  You can make it through and learn and grow in ways you never would be able to otherwise.  That's part of the plan.
So I guess I am saying that being a good mom is hard.  For reasons that I didn’t expect.  
After 6 years of parenting, I am still learning how to use my motherhood muscle, and I’m trying to figure out how to exercise my motherhood muscle without completely neglecting all my other muscles that I’ve spent the non-motherhood portion of my life defining & strengthening.  Some days we don’t make it out of our PJ’s and bedtime can’t come quickly enough.  Some days I sit and spend sweet moments with my children and am completely filled with pure joy.
I’m trying to figure out a way to experience more of the joy, and less of the stress, selfishness, and exhaustion.  Sometimes I feel like the more I try the less patience I have and I end up worse off, but I’m not going to stop trying. 
The past few weeks I’ve been waking up each morning dedicated to doing one service for each of my family members.  One kind thing, with no expectation of recognition or thanks, just something that I know will make them happy.  Something for Matt (which usually ends up being having dinner ready for him, or a clean kitchen, or something similar, nothing major going on, just something I know will make his day seem better), and something for each of the girls.  Doing this, and knowing that I am doing it with no motivation other than to improve the lives of the people I love has helped me find joy on my journey.
What has helped you find joy in your journey? (Seriously. I’m looking for suggestions.)


11 comments:

Bon said...

Speak is sister! After many years of not being able to stay home, I was excited at the possibility to be home. And although, my time at home is probably not permanent at this point, I'm trying to soak it in. And yet, I feel incredibly lazy and unfulfillfed most days. I am constantly reminding myself that 1) I am doing an important job cooking a baby 2) I am much more patient and involved with my children than when I was working full time and 3) Be grateful for the time I have now cause there's no way I want to be gone as often as I was. It's a constant struggle to balance being a mother and adult in society! The only advice I can think of is to maybe seek out ways to be involved in your community. Community theatre, dance classes, etc. I know Matt's schedule is busy, but maybe you can fit something in there that's just for YOU! Anywho, sorry for the novel. Stay warm!

Charlie said...

Man, that's so tough. When you put a lot of effort into a play, you get applause at the end. Even if it's an "off" crowd full of mouth-breathers who didn't seem to understand any of the humor or appreciate any of your subtle touches, you still get applause at the end and you still get to share the experience with your fellow actors, with all the backstage humor and camaraderie. You put that much effort into enriching your kids' childhood and you have to wait a couple of decades for any applause, 'cuz they don't know any better. As far as they know, that's just the way it's always been and the way it's supposed to be. Not only that, but it can be a very isolating experience: no fellow actors (during daytime hours at least) to joke around with or pull pranks on. Well besides applauding your hard work and perseverance as a mother, I want to applaud you for being HONEST and not giving in to the pressure to gag your feelings and perform the part of the perfect SAHM, who always feels complete joy and satisfaction in dedicating her existence to a self-effacing ideal of motherhood. The perfect SAHM only exists as a myth. I'm glad to see you expressing an honest narrative of motherhood instead of either adopting the narrative of perfect motherhood or remaining silent and beating yourself up for not always feeling how you're "supposed" to feel according to some impossible ideal. I e-applaud you, my dear. And I really @#$%ing wish I was there to help break up the monotony and take over every now and then to give you a much-deserved break.

Heather said...

I love how you write. You write so gracefully of such important things, but still lighten it up here and there with hilarious little tidbits that are so very Jenn. I echo Charlie's thoughts and wish I had his eloquence to express it myself.

I see how you are as a mother, and - no exaggeration - I am floored at how great you are at it, and how natural it seems. (Seriously, when I think of you pretty much the first thing that comes to mind now is "GREAT MOTHER.") So to see someone I admire so much for her mothering admit that it isn't easy encourages me. It helps to temper my expectations of what motherhood will be like, and I think and hope that will help me in my own experience of motherhood. When I read of the "perfect" scenes of motherhood it sounds great, but also scares me a little bit because I know it can't be that wonderful all the time and I wonder what they aren't saying. So thanks for admitting the hard parts, while still making the joyous parts so very clear. I love you very much, and like Charlie, " I really @#$%ing wish I was there to help break up the monotony and take over every now and then to give you a much-deserved break."

Tavia said...

Jenn, I LOVE YOU. It really is a relief to have the occasional REAL perspective shared. I'm so in love with your spirit and your zest for life. Being a SAHM is DRAINING. So often I feel like a shell of who I used to be. Thank you for your honesty and also for your bits of inspiration in this entry. I feel like this was real, and at the same time, it's so easy to see that you love your family. You are a beautiful person, inside and out, and you've said it all here. We try to appreciate the precious moments when they come and slog through the rest without messing them up... :) I hope things look up for you and that you find the inspiration to get through this rough patch. In my experience, the trials keep coming, so I try to get out of a rut as quickly as possible so I have more time in between the crappy stuff.

PS. You really do have a gem of a brother. Love his remarks.

Nicole said...

You don't really know me. I was friends with Matt growing up. We lived not far from each other. I want to say AMEN. I feel the exact way, and it was just this last year I could admit out loud that I didn't like being a SAHM and not feel ashamed. I worked till my son was almost 3, and then when my husband was done with Grad school and got a job I was thrust into a SAHM position with a three year old who was used to structure, fun activities and lots of other cousins to play with during the day. To make it worse we had moved across the country away from everyone we knew (I know you can totally relate). I was miserable. I cried, a lot. I had days I didn't get out of my PJs. Luckily my husband was very understanding and patient. Then it got worse for me. We gave up on the dream of ever being able to have more children for medical reasons, and all I could think was I am doing this all for only one kid. (I know, it sounds awful) I thought if I had 3 or 4 kids, it would make sense for me to be home, but I had one I could do more working than being at home. It got bad, but then it got better. I still am not a natural SAHM, but I don't know what my plans are when Dallin goes to kindergarten next year. I am very torn. I have gotten very good at not comparing myself to others' expectations. (Well, most of the time.) Today I was cleaning off the counter that was covered in flour, and since I knew I needed to clean the floor, I wiped it right onto the floor, but have I cleaned the floor yet? Nope. Sometimes D and I watch 2 movies in a row just so I can not feel bad about not knowing how to entertain my poor son who plays by himself day in and day out. I could go on and on, but this is your post, not mine. We are all just doing the best we can and trying to do right by our kids. Know you are not alone. Funny thing is, I am sure in years to come I will look back and miss what I do everyday, kind of like I look back to when I was first married and crammed into a small studio with both of us working only part, time with fond memories. I am pretty sure I didn't feel that way then :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

Dont know if you saw blog I shared on facebook the other day. Here it is again if you missed it.

http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/02/19/in-defense-of-just-mothers/

Not bagging on your desire for something more, but sometimes it is nice to have someone else express appreciation for what you do, as well as vindicate the choices you have made. Too often such choices are belittled, and unappreciated. As one who has felt that addictive high known as "The Stage" we both know that drug does not mix well with the high from a succesfull home. Good luck finding a professional alternative to the stage or even the home. Ask Matt; even if your saving lives there is very little appreciation, a whole hell of a lot of paperwork, and your still having to clean up other peoples s!$t both figuratively and literally in Matts case. As for help with the conflict inside. I suggest time away, Date Nights, Book Club, or even stuff with the kids Park Day for Moms to get together and vent for those in our Climate. Not sure where you Minnesota ladies gather but your creative ;).

Emily said...

Well said sweetheart. Every stay at home mother has felt and will repeatedly feel that way until her children are grown. It is the hardest job. That is why so many women choose to work. Its easier to have a career and only have your kids sometimes. Every SAHM has near dinner time, on any given day, started crying for no apparent reason. Its ok to crack. To become overwhelmed. Its almost always underappreciated too. I know how frustrating it can be for all your hard work to be undone. And every little bit of patience you have to be tested by someone two feet tall. I sympathize. My heart goes out to you. I have spent so many years as a SAHM without anyone ever noticing any of my hard work. I have started pointing out what a whole day of "chores" entails for boys to see. I want them to be the kind of young men who notice and appreciate the effort put into the home by we mothers. Dont sweat the small stuff Jenn. Love them and the rest will fall into place. You are doing great. Remember: drops of awesome!

Jewel said...

Oh. My. GOSH. Jenn--this is such a perfect way of saying all of the things I feel on a regular basis, but haven't been able to put into words in such an eloquent or graceful way.
Thank you for sharing. You're not alone--in either the joys or the sorrows. I really appreciated what you said about how difficult it is to put so much energy into making good memories for your kids, when it's so much easier to just watch TV or have hot dogs for dinner. I have the same experience on a daily basis--and there are many days that we don't get out of our PJ's, either. But just know that I (along with all of the other much more eloquent and witty people who have commented on here) admire you, and think you are a FABULOUS mother (as well as a talented singer and actress--I also know what it is to miss the adrenaline rush of a round of applause).
In fact, when I was pregnant with Jack and we were in the same ward, Steve and I talked about how we wanted to be parents very similar to how you and Matt were--and still are. So have hope--you have at least one couple who has a goal to be like you!!
Just remember--as long as you're doing the best you can IN THE MOMENT, then it's enough. Don't compare your best right now to what your best was yesterday or will be tomorrow, because circumstances are never the same from day to day, even if so much else seems to be.
PS...I'm impressed you washed your sheets when they weren't dirty--mine will be slept on even if there are crumbs in them, because just the idea of doing MORE laundry completely overwhelms me. So, yeah. Drop of awesome for you.

ambrklly said...

Jenn! You have no idea how many times I've tried to broach this subject with other SAHM's and they look at me like I'm obviously not an LDS woman who was raised to procreate. I am pretty sure it's because everyone is SO frightened of admitting that this job is hard and pretty sucky sometimes. We have the same struggles. I had no idea I was super self centered until I was married (but I could still deny it ;)), but when I had kids it was like a bus hitting me - I was selfish! I grew up with accolades, affirmations, and a dash of admiration. Now my kids tell me they don't like me, the detritus of family life all over my floor tells me my job that I just did needs doing again, and tomorrow promises to be more of the same.

Sometimes when I'm talking to other moms and they are enumerating on how they love every nanosecond of motherhood, I just want to say "Really? Because sometimes I hate the kids." And then walk away and pretend that I hear applause :).

Can the moms on here that struggle set up some skype meetings so we can bolster eachother that this job is not always pretty, but when we can also see the end from the beginning, we will see how worth it it really was and is?

Right now my goal is to simplify. I am starting to recognize the hard days in the mornings and I just say to myself that I am going to keep my kids alive and content and forget the rest, it'll keep. Even talking to older moms is hard because they are at the endorphin flooded post-mothering stage and they are getting their applause, so every up and down and good and bad was worth it, and I can relate to that, I really can, but not every second. I don't even know where I'm going with all this, I'm just excited and relieved. And I love you!

Skyping, yes? "SAHM's Anonymous?"

You rock :)

Jenn said...

Dear Friends and Family, and New Friends who have commented so far, your comments have made me laugh and cry and my heart feels so completely overwhelmed with love for you!! THANK YOU. Thank you for reading my blog at all, thank you for taking the time to comment, and mostly thank you for your love and support. It means the world to me.

I am in full support of "SAHM's Annonymus" Miss Amber! As long as all the moms promise not to curl their hair or put on makeup right before Skyping, I'm in! :)

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Oh Jenny...thank you for posting this and for being real and honest in a way that i can relate too. :) It's been one of those days where I've tried to put Belle down 3x for a nap and she is still crying in her crib for me. Took her out for a play break to "tire" herself out and she sprayed ironing starch all over a picture frame.

Totally agree with you on the Pinterest world...the times I've been on there I just left feeling guilt of not being a more creative Mother...not worth it for me. The same reason I don't fb...could be using that time to hang out with Belle in her princess tent.

I agree with everyone that when I think of you "good mother" definitely comes to mind. When I look at your blog I always admire the spiritual side that you teach your children, kudos to you on that. You inspire me and really are one of the most thoughtful, caring people I know.

P.S. I love that everyday when I walk into Annabelle's room I get to think of you as I look up at her name that you so generously took the time to make her, that right there just shows how amazing you are.
Love you lots.