Friday, September 2, 2011

Hermione & Kate

I adore this actress.  Hermione is my favorite and I think that I may have hate just about anyone else who played this part, but I thought that Emma was SO fantastic as Hermione.  I also just love her.  Here is one of the many reasons why


 "I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder. - Emma Watson

As a young-ish person and a mom with 3 little girls I SO appreciate this kind of down to earth, self respecting kind of position!  Hooray!

Also on another girlie-role model topic, here is another quote I love in commenting on this cover shot:



Kate Winslet said: “The retouching is excessive. I do not look like that and more importantly I don’t desire to look like that.  I actually have a Polaroid that the photographer gave me on the day of the shoot… I can tell you they’ve reduced the size of my legs by about a third. For my money it looks pretty good the way it was taken.”

Wouldn't it be nice, and good for all of our body-images if more celebrities were honest about the re-touching/complete re-shaping of their bodies that happens in editing?  All those new celebrity mom's on the covers of magazines telling all about how they "got their body back" in 6 weeks, putting pressure on normal people to look like they do in their bikini on the cover a couple months after giving birth.  Those images are SO edited and not realistic and not good for anyone's perceptions.

Anyway, not to go on a feminist rant or anything, these are just 2 quotes that I find so refreshing and down to earth that I want to remember them, and I want my kids to remember them!









No comments: