Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On a Happier Note...

Today I finished reading the Old Testament.  If you remember back to this post I talked about my family's Christmas traditions and at the very end I talked about my favorite tradition, the "Jesus Stocking".  This year one of my gifts to Christ was to read the entire LDS standard works (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenants) before next Christmas. 

I started on January first of this year and I just finished with the Old Testament, which is almost halfway through the works (its just shy of 1200 pages).  I am happy to report that I am on track to complete my goal and that I am SOOO glad that I am doing this project.  I have learned so much and my knowledge, understanding, and testimony have grown so much.

I will say that there is some crazy stuff in the Old Testament!  It is sometimes hard for me to reconcile the vengeful and punishing God of Leviticus with the merciful and tender savior of Psalms and Proverbs (which is the God that I feel like I know).  Reading the Old Testament straight through at a fast pace and also studying the accompanying Institute manual as I went (which provides the LDS perspective on a lot of the cultural traditions of the time and also thoughts on mis-translation) has helped me understand the events of the Bible and have a better understanding of some of the things that seem insane the first time you read it.  A lot of the Old Testament is harsh and violent and I was glad for a guide more than one time!

Anyway, this project has enriched my life more than I can state and I am SO excited to begin studying Christ's ministry in the New Testament.  I am so grateful for the scriptures and for a loving God who has provided prophets, and scriptures and ministration, again and again since the beginning of time in order to help us come to the knowledge of His LOVE and GRACE.  I truly know that God lives, that He has always existed and that his greatest desire is to bring about our eternal happiness and joy.

3 comments:

russandkatie said...

I am jealous of your knowledge right now!

Heather said...

Dude, that is an awesome goal, and a big commitment! Especially with 3 little ones to care for. I am impressed, too, that you're truly seeking to understand what you're reading instead of just reading it to complete your goal and be done with it. You rock.

Sare said...

wow...such a good post!!