Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I hate buying a car...

I know to some people it might seem like fun, but to me it is just a LOT of stress.  There is no way to know if the car will suddenly go downhill in a year (unless you buy new, which I would never do).  Even if it is dealer "certified" that is no guarantee.  I want to know I got a good deal and be super happy with my car.  We bought the Escape 3 years ago and it is all paid off, we have had a good experience with it, but I still feel like I should have paid 1-2 thousand bucks less on the "out-the-door" price, but that is the only negative I have about it.  We will keep it, and it has retained its value well (it's worth about 5 grand less--according to KBB private party--than we paid for it over 3 years ago so that is pretty good).  I have no desire to part with it any time soon, I am a pay the car off as quickly as possible and keep it for as long as possible type of girl.

Anyway, we can barely squeeze our family into the escape, and we will probably start trying for another baby in another 6-7 months or so (after Kate turns one-which seems really soon to me this time around, but it is our standard time frame).  Plus we need to buy one before school, since Matt won't be working then.  We have been pre-approved for an interest rate which I am very happy with, and for more money than I want to spend, now I just have to find the right car.

So if you know anyone who is trying to sell a sweet mini-van , or a Ford expedition EL (I would REALLY like to have the extra cargo space), or a similar full size SUV, with relatively low miles, in good condition for a fair price please shout out.  I would just love to know that I am getting an honest deal.

I wish I had a crystal ball.  This totally stresses me out.  Plus I am impatient.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Just pick out whatever seems fun and shiny at the time, wait 12 months to realize it was a horrible investment to make, then start the whole process over again until you've paid enough over a decade to finance a Mercedes sports car, leaving you with nothing but a mediocre car and the haunting realization that poor car-buying decisions really limited the options you might have had in your 20s, which are now forever gone, never to return.

Jewel said...

I hate buying cars, too. But Steve bought our Honda Pilot in December (I wasn't there--long story), used, and I'm actually really happy with it. I still hate the fact that we're still making payments on it, but we do the best we can.
Good luck. It's stressful. And I think Charlie's advice is priceless. :)