Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Baby on the Brain

In case you missed it, I'm pregnant.  Super pregnant.  Uncomfortably, miserably pregnant. 
 
 It is truly my, deep in my gut, honest to the core, belief that God made the last few weeks of pregnancy completely miserable so that women would over come their fear of childbirth and be willing to endure any pain in order to get the baby out of their body. 
 
So that's about where I am.  If we go by the pattern our other girls have set (and I am really, really hoping that we are--If this baby decides to break the mold and suddenly be over due, heads might roll), then I have about 2 - 2.5 weeks left.  I am having contractions all the time, rib and back pain, my hips seem to pop out of place every time I sit or stand (which is super painful), not getting any sleep and having to pee about every 30 minutes.  Literally.  I have also been getting severe hemiplegic migraines several times a week for the past few weeks (experiencing vision loss, numbness, confusion, and of course headache pain) which is a new development that I am hoping will go away once I deliver.  In other words, I am simply a delight to be around and in the best spirits ever!
 
Actually, I think I have done a pretty good job at controlling my grumpiness and being amiable.  Matt would be the best judge of that, and I am not really sure if he would tell a different story or not, but from my point of view, I've done a pretty good job being, if not pleasant, then at least not unpleasant.  Or at least not excessively so.  I hope.
 
I am hoping that I will get checked at my next Dr appointment, on Monday, so that I know if these contractions are actually causing any progress, or are making me uncomfortable for no good reason.  I know it doesn't really matter either way, since it can all change over night, but it's always encouraging to feel like things are happening.
 
So, since I am thinking that I only have another "safe" 2 weeks before I hit the "it could happen any day now" stage, I have entered the "prep for baby" zone, and I am working to get everything set up, pulled out, washed, rearranged, purchased, and ready!  It's a lot of work, but it's also exciting too.  It definitely makes it all feel more real, and fills me with gratitude for this sweet baby that we weren't sure we'd be able to have.  I feel like with this baby my "nesting" instinct never kicked in.  Cleaning/organizing/etc. have all been tortuously accomplished only by self discipline and will power.  I have zero desire to do any of the things on my "to-do" list and would much, much rather nap.
 
Baby Names
 
One thing that's been on my mind a lot the past couple of weeks has been this baby's name.  I am still not sure what we will name her, I think that we will meet her and see what feels right.  Our #1 contender right now is Jane.  This is the most likely name, our back-ups are Lucy, and Rosalyn.  We'll have to wait and see.  What's your favorite of the three?
 
I am thinking about doing something unconventional for her middle name.  All of our girls have middle names taken from family names.  I love this and I think it's great to establish family ties and give names with meaning.  Now that we're on girl #4, it's getting harder to find names that both Matt and I can agree on.  So this time around I am thinking of doing a mash-up middle name.  We did a mash-up name for Kate's middle name, using our Grandmother's names, EvaLou and Anna became LouAnn.
 
So, with this baby, I am thinking about using my sister's names, which are Andrea and Emily.  If you put their two names together it sounds like the name Amelia, which is a name I like a lot.  The unconventional-ness comes in the spelling.  Let me just say that I am generally against creative spellings of names.  Half the time when I see "creatively" spelled kids names, I just assume the parents didn't know how to spell it properly.  I mean, who wants to have to spell your name every time you give it to someone new, make an appointment, start a new class, sign up or register for basically anything, etc.  Plus 90% of people will probably spell your name wrong for most of your life.  That being said, I feel like there is a little more leniency with middle names, which really aren't used very often.  I still feel anxious about misspelling Amelia in order to make it a family name.  But, I think in the end, wanting to honor family ties is more important to me that people saying, "what the heck is up with that spelling?".  So here are the options:
 
Andrea + Emily =
 
Amilea
 
Emilea
 
I personally am leaning toward doing in Amilea.  Do you think that is too wacky?  (It is OK to say yes, as long as you realize that you are saying it to a 9 month pregnant, overly hormonal woman, and say it very, very, tactfully.   Preferably prefacing it with how witty, or pretty, or fun you think I am.)

6 comments:

Charlie said...

I like all of your finalist names and would be happy with any of the three. Who knows—she might just turn out seeming like a Lucy! As for the middle name, I understand and share your anxiety. If it were me, I'd stick with the Amelia spelling, but if you go a different route, it's totally fine. I'll just love her a little less and that will be that.

The LaLa said...

Resist the wacky spelling. Otherwise, they are all lovely names. Rosalyn is the least common, and it's so feminine. She'll be a beauty, for sure! Best wishes and big hugs!

Heather said...

Oh my word, Charlie is so dang hilarious. His comments get me every time.

I love the name Jane (it was my great grandma's name) - I really wanted to use that for one of our girls, but I've yet to get Josh on board. Dang husbands and their opinions! I also love the name Amelia, and think it is so creative that you got that from Emily and Andrea. It totally works and is something I never thought of. I love your ability to meld names into another that is still a traditional name and not totally out there. Also, I really like the idea of names carrying a family significance. I think it can help instill a deeper connection to family along with a sweet identity for these girls.

If it was me, I'd go with the traditional spelling too. I don't think the spelling honors your sisters any more or less, and either way people won't know the name is meaningful unless it is explained. And after the explanation either spelling will have the same sweet result. You mentioned that she'd always have to spell her name and would likely have it spelled wrong constantly with the unusual spellings, but you may also consider the reverse side of that. I would have had no idea of the intended pronunciation of those names if you hadn't already written that they were "Amelia," so it seems she'd be constantly spelling it for those who heard it, and saying it for those who read it. But, if you're in love with the more unusual spellings then you are right that it is a middle name and likely won't be used too often anyway. Blah blah blah what I'm saying is go with your gut and do what you want, but if it was me, I'd go traditional. :)

Dandi said...

Love the first names...all of them. I tried to use Jane, but Aaron wouldn't go for it. As for the middle name. I agree on having a family name is meaningful and important. As for the spelling, do whatever the heck you want and punch anyone that gives you a hard time. There is always someone that will have something negative to say about what you decided to name your sweet baby. It doesn't matter. As for name spelling mistakes, people spell my name wrong all the time, I'm used to it and I really could care less. Sometimes I correct them, sometimes I don't. Oh and by the way, I think you are so very pretty and certainly quite witty...and what a really fun person you are! LOVE YA! Good Luck.

Dandi said...

opps, I "couldn't" care less.

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Love reading up on your life! :) Can't believe baby girl will be here soon. I like how you spelled it with Emilea, it's creative and like you said no one is really going to be asking about her middle name anyways. I sure love you and wish we could be closer so that our babies could play together! Take care and keep me posted when she is born!