Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Amy's Baby Shower

Two Saturdays ago I threw a baby shower for the sweetest girl.  I actually don't know her all that well, I go to church with her, and I was assigned to be her Visiting Teacher for a couple months.  Even though I was released from being her VT'er, when my new companion and I found out that she wasn't going to have a baby shower at all, we decided to throw her one.  It was very last minute, I had one day the following week that would work, called her up and said can you come to a baby shower for yourself on this day/time next week?  She said yes, and I got to work!  My companion emailed out invitations and we asked one of her new VT'ers to do a game or activity.  Since money is an issue I made homemade decorations during the week, and I think they turned out pretty cute! 

 I used scrapbooking paper and ribbon I had already to make a little bunting banner and the made a diaper cake and some tissue paper pompoms as well.




The best part about throwing a baby shower?  Getting to buy and make all kinds of yummy food/dips/cookies/cupcakes and eat all the leftovers!
 
I was a little nervous that not too many people would show up, simply because most of the women at church haven't had the opportunity to get to know Amy very well.  Her and her husband are from Utah, they moved here this summer to start an 8 month internship at IBM, and then will go back to UT.  They are both young and adorable and simply the nicest, sweetest couple.  However, because they are here so briefly, both working, and not putting down any roots, they haven't made a lot of close connections, hence why she was just not going to have a baby shower.  I think it would be really hard to be away from home for the first time and be having your first baby right in the middle of your time away.  It turned out really well though, lots of great women from our wonderful ward showed up to show their love and support for her, and I was really grateful to be able to be a part of giving her a special day.












 Amanda's matching/memory game was so cute and fun!  I am normally not a huge fan of shower games, hence why I asked someone else to be in charge of it, but this one was great.  If I ever do a baby shower again, I am definitely stealing this idea!





 
The only downside to the shower was that I got food poisoning the night before.  It was BAD.  I was up throwing up/dry heaving all night, which then caused me to start having some serious contractions and severe back pain, finally at 4am I woke up Matt and asked him to give me a blessing, he did and then stayed up and applied heat to my back and rubbed it for about a half an hour, while I tried to relax and breathe and get my contractions to stop.  It eventually calmed down, and I was able to finally sleep for about and hour and a half before the girls all woke up and I needed to get up and frost cupcakes and set everything up.  It was rough.  No 7 month pregnant woman should ever get food poisoning!  I thought I was going to die.  Matt helped pick up my slack in the morning and was a great, dip mixing, vegetable chopping, little girl entertaining, partner and best friend.  I am so grateful for him, I never could have made it through that night and day without him.  I didn't eat anything all day because I was so worried that I would start throwing up again, so I was feeling pretty tired and haggard.  Luckily, I made it through the party and I don't think that anyone was the wiser!  I didn't try any of the food beforehand or at the party, so I was glad when I got to eat leftovers and they were all yummy.  Amy and Jon ended up with a good amount of gifts, and more importantly, I think they felt loved and supported.  It felt good to be able to help them feel that way!

3 comments:

Jewel said...

You are seriously superwoman.
That was an incredibly adorable baby shower--and you had FOOD POISONING the night before?
I bow at your feet in amazement.
No joke.
I hope you're feeling better!!!

Dandi said...

You are so awesome! Good job. It all turned out really cute!

Unknown said...

Joyous to know about your baby shower party and hope it was a grand success. Couple of months ago, I arranged my sister-in-law’s baby shower party at an exemplary venue NYC. Made good decorations and enjoyed this party very much.