Thursday, May 9, 2013

The first week of May we got 14 inches of snow!  Please excuse the fact that all my pictures are taken through windows, there was no way I was opening the doors to get a better pic!

 We also got given free tickets for our family to attend a circus that was in town.  The girls loved it.
 The picture below I had to take for anyone who was in/saw The Hunchback back in the day.  These girls had the EXACT capes with rods in the arms.  They could've stolen them from the EA Costume Dept.  I had to laugh and snap a picture.

Aerialists/Acrobats always make me think of my friend JessJoy, who has been traveling the world doing this.
 The girls LOVED the tigers.

 At times it was just too loud for Izzie.

Luckily for me there was only 1 clown in the whole show, and he had no face paint or wig, just floppy shoes and a ball nose. (I HATE clowns. A lot.) The girls loved him and he wasn't creepy at all, so it was a win/win for everyone!
 I think everyone's favorite part was the elephant.  He was really, really good.



 May is also brain tumor awareness month.  About a month and a half ago a friend of ours from our old ward passed away from brain cancer.  He left behind a wife and 3 step-daughters.  His name was Jay, and throughout his battle with cancer his friends and loved ones sported "Gray for Jay" T-shirts.  May 4th is the official annual Gray for Jay day and we all wore gray (as did SO many other people who were affected by Jay and his wife Katrina's amazing example of hope, love, courage, dedication, cheerfulness, obedience, and humility) and ate Jay's favorite meal pizza and pizookies (we are poor, so we just substituted ice cream cones for a pizookie).  I don't think that I would ever have the strength and humility to bear such a difficult burden as the Rasbands have with such incredible grace.  They really have touched my heart and set an example that I will never forget.
 The next day was Cinco de Mayo!  It was a weird experience to not have Grocery stores with big Cinco de Mayo sales and displays, with Mexican food and pinatas for sale the week leading up to Cinco de Mayo, however, Matt managed to put together a nice meal of homemade shredded chicken tacos, homemade Spanish rice, black beans, olives, corn from the cob, sour cream and salsa. The best part? I fell asleep this afternoon and woke up to Matthew yelling, "Dinner's ready!".  Can't get much better than that!

3 comments:

Jewel said...

Love all the circus pictures--I've never been to one, so it looks like fun!
I also love your Gray for Jay picture. The Rasbands really are such an incredible family. Thanks for sharing their story!!
Just love you. And miss you. And, for goodness' sake, I hope all that snow melts soon so you can start thawing out!

Dandi said...

Miss you! Love all the pictures and would really like a bite of that taco!

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

I want you to know that I still read every word of your blog posts and will always enjoy catching up on your life!! LOVE YOU JENNY JENNS!!!!N