Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Easter

 




 






 







Each year we give the girls a new book each for Easter, they were big hits this year!
I made Easter dresses for the girls, entirely out of fabric I already had in my left over fabric bins!  SCORE!  The only cost was zippers, I didn't have any of those, so I had to purchase some.  Still, not bad for 3 new dresses!
 

 
You can't really tell due to the flash that the tops of Izzie and Kate's dresses have pink (Iz) and yellow (Kate) polka dots on the white, they are cute and I'm bummed you can't make them out here, 'cause I adore polka dots. 
Kate had a fever and a cough, so I didn't take her to church, hence why her hair is a mess, I just made her throw on a dress to take pictures with her sisters.

I made a strawberry cake with fresh strawberry mousse, and the girls enjoyed being my tasters.
I made the cake in one of those pans where the bottom is molded to an image and you are supposed to turn the cake upside down and pop it out and have a nice molded image (in this cake a bunny shaped top).  Well, it came out a crumbly mess, so I just had to cut the molded part off and come up with something to draw on the top instead.  Mind you, this was about 15 minutes before dinner.  Matt and my mom said it couldn't be done, that I should just frost it a solid color and call it good...Which if you know me, is just an invitation to prove them wrong!  I declared, "challenge accepted!"  And they rolled their eyes. :)  I am pretty "hoppy" with the way it turned out, considering it was a 15-20 minute frosting job.  Under normal circumstances I would not be satisfied, but given the conditions, I was happy just to get it done, and have it look Easter-y.
 And of course, the most important part was that it tasted great.  What's the point in eating all those calories if you cover it in mediocre tasting fondant, too sugary frosting, or if the cake is dry and flavorless?  I am a BIG believer that food should be yummy first, and artistic 2nd!
We had a great meal, though I didn't think to photo-doc it.  The next day I snapped a picture of some leftovers though.  Not quite as tasty looking the next day, but you get the idea.  Fresh green beans, honey glazed ham, rolls, cheesy (funeral) potatoes, deviled eggs (with bacon), and lemonade.  Easter dinner is probably my favorite holiday dinner, so I revel in all the rich food, though 4th of July barbecues with their fresh fruits and melons, salads galore, and barbecue in all varieties comes in a close 2nd.  What's your favorite Holiday/Seasonal meals?

1 comment:

Claire said...

LOVE the dresses! Those turned out amazing. One day, I'd love to make dresses for my girls, but so far, my sewing skills are not up to par for that. Love, love, love.