Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Big Arrival!


So Friday I had been having contractions (as usual), but they still weren't strong enough for me to pay too much attention to them. Around 11:30pm I sent Matt to the store to buy some "depends". Yep. You read that right. I am pretty much sharing with the world wide web the most humiliating experience EVER. Friday night I started having issues controlling my bladder while having contractions. I have NEVER had that kind of a problem and it really was pretty much the most humbling/embarrassing experience ever. Having to admit to my husband that, yes, I actually would like you to get up and go to the store to buy me some diapers, when he jokingly suggested it, was definetly not the high point of my life of pride. Anyway, while he was gone my contractions got stronger. ALOT stronger. It was just after midnight when I got the first "Oh yeah, that is DEFINETLY labor. I called my mom in at 12:20 to time them for me, because I was in alot of pain. They came ever 2-4 minutes lasting around a minute and were killing me. Imagine matt's suprise when he got back from the store and I was in full blown labor! A little after 2 Matt talked me into going to the hospital (I wanted to wait longer), so we left for the hospital and got to the ER a little after 2:30. All I could think about was getting an epidural! They checked me into OB Triage and called my Dr, I was 5 cm dilated, they were going to put me in a room, get me an epidural (which I was DYING for) and then break my water. I was SO excited that this time I would get an epidural BEFORE my water broke, because I remembered how much more it hurt with Lily once my water broke and I felt like I was already past my pain tolerance level.
So the delivery nurse comes to get me from Triage and MAKES ME WALK to my room, which is through some doors, past a nurses' station and then 3 rooms down. I thought I would die. I was feeling SO much pressure and it really took everything to get to that room, which took forever since I had to stop about every 30 seconds for a contraction. I of course kept asking about my epidural to which she kept responding "it's going to be a while, the resident needs to examine you first and she is busy with a delivery". She kept treating me like a total wuss and was very patronizing. She is not my favorite person in this story. My triage nurse had been SO nice and my Dr had ordered my epi right away, the nurse who had been monitoring my contractions (and knew how intense they were) was very reassuring that I would get that epidural quickly. But not my delivery nurse. When we were in the room I don't remember much at all. I asked to PLEASE get something, ANYTHING for pain if it was going to be a long time before the epidural (which I knew it would be since my nurse wasn't taking me seriosuly), so I got a shot of statol, which just made me incredible tired and dizzy. The nurse was still in the process of getting me checked into my room and asking me background questions, when I felt my water break. I told the nurse, "I am pretty sure my water just broke". "ok", she said and continued to ask me questions without even checking my fluid or even acknowledging that anything happened. As soon as my water broke I felt the sensation to push. But I figured, it just must be the increased pressure from me not having any water and I didn't say anything, because the nurse was already treating me like an idiot. After about 10 minutes, I couldn't take it. My body was involuntarily pushing and it was hurting to try and not push, so I told her, i really feel like I need to push. She then told me that she really didn't want to have to check me, because they don't like to check very often, to which I replied, I REALLY HAVE to push. My dear sweet RN husband took that very seriously and so then she went to check me and what did she see?? A baby's head on its way out. To which she then freaked out. (she was a new grad) And hit the call button calling for "someone, anyone, to get in here NOW" The resident was still in delivering whoever else's baby and my doctor was still at home since it had only been about an hour since he was called and I was at a five. Nothing in the room was set up since I had only been there for about a half an hour, the nurse was literally holding the baby's head keeping it from coming out and she was seriously freaking out. My sweet husband was great in instructing my how best not to push, which by the was is NOT an easy thing to do. I am so glad that he is a great nurse since at this point my nurse was freaking out and of NO help to me. Luckily some family practice Dr's were there, they had delivered someone else's baby and were still in the hallway, so they came in and delivered my baby. They literally didn't even have time to break the bed apart, the Dr had to stand on one side of the bed and lean over. It was CRAZY. I really didn't want to push her out, since it hurt and all, but my husband and the 2 Docs (one of whom I STILL don't know his name!) were SO great. They were really supportive and kind and I pushed that baby out without an epidural--something I NEVER want to do again, but it is good to know that I CAN do it.
Isabel Marie was born at 4:17 am. She weighed 7lbs 2oz, was 19 1/2 inches long and has a full head of dark hair. She is a very sweet and snuggly baby. She doesn't give you any warning when she is about to cry, she just errupts into a loud full scream (full of drama like her sister), but unlike Lily she quiets down immediatly and never cries for long. She is so precious and is a perfect addition to our family. I just feel so blessed to have 2 beautiful and healthy girls with a daddy who loves them and it a great, involved dad and loving husband. My mom was here the first 2 days we were home and it was a great help to have her here, I miss her already. And lily misses her even more!
Lily has been doing remarkably well since we have been home, although there has been more drama since grandma left, I really couldn't ask her to adjust better. She is such a great big sister. Our ward brought meals the first 3 nights, which was SOOO great. We have such a great ward and I am so glad to have such a great support system within the church. The recovery physically has been a thousand times easier than with Lily. I still wouldn't call it a walk in the park, but it is so much better than last time. Isabel seems to have her nights and days mixed up, which is hard, but Matt has let me take a nap during the day, which is the only thing that has kept me going. I am really hoping that my mom will able to come back next week when Matt goes back to work. We initially were told that he would get 2 weeks off, but unfortunetly although Matt's supervisors approved the time (and were game for more) there are some CHW policies that are pretty jacked that we just found out about today and Matt will have to go back to work next week. I am not going to say anything else, just that it sucks, because there is no point in getting into all the irritating details of the complicated and crappy circumstances.

Anyway, in general, things are good. We are exhausted, but extremely blessed and happy. :)






Lily couldn't WAIT to get her out of her car seat!





Holding her sister for the first time!





KISSES!!

She found her thumb at only 3 days old! Here we go again!

My Dr's office sent me these flowers witht he balloon and stuffed animal. It made me very happy!

13 comments:

Katie said...

Ooohhhh my heck Jenn! That is a crazy story! I'm so sad you got a dumb nurse! Good thing Matt was there for you. Congrats! (I think all the super girl hormones go into the first girl and that makes the second one more laid back. But... who knows!)

Sheila and Mario said...

How crazy! That nurse sounds like an idiot! I hope you write a strongly worded letter! :)
I am glad that things were quick for you and I am impressed you did it naturally. Now you can say you have! I think it would be cool to do one of mine naturally (though we will see). Mario's sister refused drugs with all 5 of hers LOCA!).
Isabel is adorable! She has the sweetest face. You two have really been blessed with adorable little girls! Enjoy them both as you learn this new game of 2 on 2!

Abbey said...

Holy cow! So glad you guys are both healthy, and I bet the nurse felt a little dumb (hopefully at least). Having a good nurse makes all the difference!! Congratulations you guys! She's beautiful.

Derek and Tara Larsen said...

Congratulations Matt and Jenn, she is so Precious! You should have put a disclaimer at the first of your post to not read the labor story if your pregnant though! I think I'll now be having nightmares the rest of my pregnancy that my delivery will go like yours!!! You are such a Trooper! Love you guys!

kyle said...

Congratulations!!

Bon said...

you're a supermom to do it no drugs. seriously. (although i know you didn't exactly have a choice) she's a keeper for sure!

Charlie said...

Two things:

1) What's that nurse's name? It's best you not ask questions about why I need her name. Just give me the name, and I'll take care of her. With a knife. OK, fine--I'll tell you. I'm going to cut her. I've never studied medicine, but I've watched enough movies to know that, when the mom's water breaks, it's time to go into baby-catching mode and stop reading through the checklist of bureaucratic questions. Why would you become a labor nurse when women in labor cause you to freak out? That's like having a serious phobia of flying and deciding to become a flight attendant. What a freaking retard.

2) Who do I need to cut at CHW to get their policies revised? I'll fly to the Vatican if I have to.

3) Okay, actually three things. Isabel is BEAUTIFUL, and I'm so glad you picked my favorite name from your list of possibilities (PS, LOVE the middle name as well). I'll come see her as soon as my knife-wielding missions are complete. And as soon as my head cold is gone.

Heather said...

You are a superhero!!! I was about to ask for the nurse's name as well when I found that Charlie already had that taken care of, and I trust he can handle it.

Isabel is absolutely beautiful, and Lily looks like such a natural holding her. I'm glad all is well.

I haven't called you back yet because I figured you are quite busy taking care of 2 little ones, and I also don't want to call at an inconvenient time (i.e. you're taking a nap), so I thought I'd wait a little while. Or, if there is a time that you are free, feel free to call me. Loooooove for you!

Quinn said...

Jen, what an incredible story!!!! I can't imagine having to go throug that myself, but at least, in perspective, it was over with quickly. However "quickly" is never wuick enough when experiencing that much pain. And Matt is truly wonderful, what a beautiful family you all have. She's precious!! I had a nurse I hated when Franklin was born; luckily she wasn't my delivery nurse, but I still learned from that time that I can definitely request someone else if there is someone I don't like. Again congratulations, that's so great that she's here, and boy, what an entrance!!

The LaLa said...

I'm sooo sorry you had a traumatic birth experience -- although it makes a great story!! You'd forget the details if it was all routine. I have a little something for Isabel and Lily too. I'll check with you to see if you're up for visitors.

Jewel said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you--she's beautiful! And I'm sorry that your experience was so traumatizing...People are dumb sometimes. That's all. But I'm glad you're doing better now, and I'm SUPER excited to get to meet Isabel!

Dusty said...

Congratulations and way to go Jenn! That is a crazy story. Isabel is beautiful. I just never understand nurses who DON'T listen to what their patients are saying. Anyway, I am glad things are going well and that you are both home and healthy! Can't wait to meet her.

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Ohhhhh Jenn, stories like that scare me even more. I'm going to die when I have kids...I really don't think that I can do it!! :'( Why did your nurse have to act like that?!?! I'm glad that Matt takes care of ya! I hope Isabel is doing well! I know I always say this...but seriously when can I come see her? Do you live by Corri Gardner too? Maybe I can come and see both of you at the same time! Love and miss you!